Sunday, March 10, 2013

Reuben egg rolls!

A lot has been going on here lately and I haven't posted anything about food in a while. Time to play catch up :)

I've continued along the path of easy-ish meals around here since our hospital get-away a few weeks ago. Pinterest has played a huge roll in my food-spiration. I love taking other people's recipes and turning them into healthier meals of my own. 

Let's start with the Reuben egg rolls that I found the other day. Arby's has been promoting their Reuben all over the Food Network and they were sounding REALLY amazing... then I find the Reuben egg rolls. That was it!! I had to make them and I am SOOO glad that I did. We actually ate them two nights in a row :)


These couldn't be easier to make, I promise. The only gadget(s) you need are either a thermometer, like a candy thermometer, to monitor your oil temperature if you are frying them on the stove or a deep fryer. I have both, but I chose to use the stove. Mostly because my fryer is a little guy and I wanted to be able fry more than one at a time.

Ingredients:

Egg roll wrappers - These are found in the refrigerated section of the produce department usually. If you are unfamiliar, they are the larger ones.
 
1 pound sliced corned beef

1/2 pound sliced swiss cheese, cut into thirds

small can of sauerkraut, drained

1 egg, beaten with about a tablespoon of water

bottle of thousand island dressing 

vegetable oil for frying, heated to 375 degrees

damp paper towels to keep wrappers and rolls moist while rolling

Directions:

Lay one egg roll wrapper with the corner pointed toward you.
Fold/roll one or two slices of corned beef in the center of the wrapper. Place two of your swiss cheese thirds on either side of the corned beef. Top with sauerkraut to your liking, whether it be a little or a lot. Drizzle a little thousand island on the top. Fold corner up over the mixture. Fold left and right corners toward the center and continue to roll, gently and as tightly as possible. Loose egg rolls will come undone in the fryer. I used my fingers to brush the top corner with the egg wash, about an inch and a half was covered, then continue to roll to seal the egg roll. Set aside on a baking sheet and cover with a damp paper towel while you continue to roll the rest.

Once your oil has come to temp, gently place 2 or 3 egg rolls in the fryer at a time, turning occasionally, or as needed to make sure they are evenly golden brown for 3 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels or rack. 
 
Serve with more thousand island dressing.


I didn't follow the recipe so I made a simple sauteed cabbage {of course I added a lot of garlic} and garlic smashed potatoes with leftover swiss cheese on top! 


This would be a perfect way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment